Call for application - Technical Advisor for Rail Safety and Interoperability with EIM
EIM, the European Association of European Rail Infrastructure Managers (EIM), www.eimrail.org, covers all relevant technical issues of the EU. This implies setting up working groups to prepare input and position papers related to EU topics, conducting joint working groups with other sector bodies and participate in EU meetings.
Within the scope of its technical activities, EIM is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, motivated, experienced engineer or equivalent to fulfil the role of a Technical Advisor in charge of Rail Safety and Interoperability. He/she shall join the technical team of EIM in Brussels and jointly develop the association’s overall technical strategy and coordination of its technical activities. The secondment* is expected to last 9 months, with the option to discuss permanent recruitment into the role after this period. The Technical Advisor will report to the EIM Executive Director, the Manager of the Technical Team and would also report to the TSG (Technical Steering Group of EIM).
The role of the Technical Advisor would be to analyse interoperability and safety related legislation and documentation of the EU. She/he would represent EIM in EU level meetings, work closely with experts from the members of EIM, as well as, advise EIM members on risks/opportunities related to technical subjects. Whilst some technical WGs of EIM are run independently, others require preparation and participation. The most important issues dealt with by EIM are all initiatives related to the technical pillar of the 4th RP (e.g. certifications and authorisations, review of common safety methods and targets, abolishment of national rules, etc.).
An overview of the required profile (competence/education) is outlined in the annex to this document.
M.: +32 476 88 96 46
* Negotiable depending on candidate profile. An offer for full time employment may be offered at the discretion of the Ex-Dir.
Annex on competencies / education
The Technical Advisor will have to:
- Manage Safety, Cross Acceptance and Interoperability
- Ensure, together with the EIM technical team, that EIM’s working groups deliver the work required and feed positions/opinions to the Agency and partly the EC
- Ensure the fulfillment of EIM’s vision, mission and goals
- Manage dossiers/working groups and processes related to the Agency (but also EC)
- Develop EIM’s Technical Strategy, identifying risks and opportunities for IMs.
- Advise the Technical Manager and the Executive Director
Her/his desired profile:
- Be educated to degree level (preferably Masters) in either Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical or Railway Engineering.
- Excellent mastering of the English language (compulsory), good knowledge of at least one other European language (preferable)
- Working proficiency in all basic Microsoft program suites (Microsoft excel, word, PowerPoint)
- Good knowledge of EU railway policy and of the EU Safety and Interoperability Directives
- Experience in managing working groups or meetings
- At least 3 years professional experience in positions related to railway activities.
- Familiarity with the development of EU Safety and Interoperability recommendations (should be able to assess the impact of draft specifications on infrastructure managers business, including from an economic point of view)
- Work knowledge of at least two of the following areas:
- Common Safety Methods (development or implementation)
-Energy and EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) -
-Infrastructure databases and registers
-National Safety Rules, incl Safety Management Systems, Certification and Authorisation
The secondment would start ideally from 1st May and cover a period of 9 months. The work place is in the offices of EIM aisbl, 1, Square de Meeûs, B-1000 Brussels (B).
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following reference: ‘Vacancy: Technical Advisor for Rail Safety and Interoperability with EIM’. The deadline for applications is 31st March.
All applications must be delivered in English and contain:
a) motivation letter
b) Europass-Curriculum Vitae